Saturday, September 12, 2009

Feeling like a tourist



So, as I wrote last night, today we had a guided tour scheduled to see parts of downtown Zagreb as a group, like true Americans. The tour was great, and I took a lot of interesting pictures, but it was definitely embarrassing to be in a big group of people, all with their cameras out, wandering around and staring. We got to see the main cathedral, that can be seen from all over the downtown. We also saw the square where all the hip people go hang out on Saturday mornings to "see and be seen." I'm working really hard to try and get a feel for where things are in the town, so that I can know where I'm going and get around more easily if I want to go somewhere, so the tour definitely helped.

For lunch, three of us went to a restaurant called Boban, which serves Croatian food. It is a nicer, sit-down type restaurant, really the first we've gone to since we've been here. We all got different types of pasta. I got a four cheese penne, and it was amazing. The dynamic of restaurants seems different here than in the U.S. Waiters don't work for tips, so they seem to be less attentive. Or perhaps that's just for three American college students, it's kind of hard to tell.

After lunch, we walked down the "shopping street," Ilica. The group of us has slowly been working on getting phones, so the three of us went into T-Mobile to find something for our needs. Luckily, it is pretty cheap to buy a phone and a sim card, and put a certain amount of kuna on the card to use, and then reload. This is a pretty perfect situation for us since we won't be here too long. My phone was 150 kuna ($30) and has (I think) 20 kuna loaded on the card. So now it will be much easier to communicate with all the other girls, who live in various places around the city.

Afterwards, of course, espresso at a cafe called Maraschino. The next task was getting home. Yesterday, I was driven by car into the main square, and this morning, my "host dad" showed me how to use the train and tram to get into town. The tram is easy, but I was confused about the train. Luckily, there is an alternate route that is just a longer tram ride and more walking, so I just did that for now. But I really want to man up and figure out how to use the train, because the commute is much shorter.

The group of us have been discussing whether or not we want to attempt to go to one of the bars or clubs we were told about the other night. We're all interested but I think a little intimidated, so we'll see what happens.

(Picture above taken in the pedestrian area, Tkalčićeva ulica, where many cafes and bars are. The statue in the picture is Marija Jurić Zagorka (1873-1957), who was Croatia's first female journalist. She was given a job on a local Zagreb paper, where she started on the editorial board and introduced the first Croatian publication exclusively for women. She also wrote a few popular novels that are still well-read today. Click to make bigger!)

No comments: