Monday, September 14, 2009

"Normal" days

So, today was our first "normal" day of class. ("Normal" because since we travel so much we don't have a very defined schedule.) We are in Zagreb doing "normal" classes until the 23, and then we do a 2 day trip to Vukovar, and then we are back in Zagreb only until October 1. On October 2, we leave for Belgrade, and we are in Serbia (I think we do some traveling outside of Belgrade) until the 26th of October, and then on to Bosnia. After 10 days in Bosnia, back to Zagreb for a week, and then we start our ISP!!! Saying it all like that makes it sound like it will go so fast!! I already feel like the days are moving faster.

This morning was "normal;" woke up, got ready and Josipa drove me into the center of town because she had to go to work on the west side. I was a little early for class, but it was nice not to have to face the train again. I'm still kind of scared of it. We had two hours of language class this morning. I won't lie... I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the language right now. I'm not used to feeling confused or out of it during a class but this one, quite honestly I don't know what's going on a lot of times. I'm still trying to stay positive though. I'm making sticky notes of vocab words and putting them up right in front of my face at my desk at home so I'm forced to look at "Kako se kaze...?" "sir," and "samo malo." ("How do you say...?" "cheese," and "just a little bit," among others.) After language, we had two hour's break for lunch. A few other girls and I went to a small stand in the main square that sells food to go (fast food, but not American fast food). Afterwards, we walked down the street and got sucked into a few clothing stores... whoops.

The afternoon was our first class with Orli. It was just a beginning sort of thing; we discussed terms and "ideas" and some readings that were apparently assigned... again, whoops. I also feel a little bit behind in this class. Many of the girls are political science, international relations, anthropology or "peace building" majors, and therefore have a lot more experience then I do in foreign affairs and armed conflict. So, again, a little bit behind everyone else but, whatever, I guess someone has to be at the back of the learning curve. After class, we went to a cafe to get a beer before going home. The cafe we went to has old washing machines outside repurposed as tables with tall bar stools. Apparently, the cafe was mentioned in the New York Times' recent article about Zagreb. The inside is cool too, and the walls are covered in fake flowers. One of the table's legs are made from an old bicycle without the seat; another's is the legs of a mannequin. However, it is just a cafe; pretty standard on Tkalciceva. After, I took the crowded tram home and had dinner with Bernard.

Going into this trip with SIT, I was worried that the homestay part would be the hardest part for me (especially considering how I felt about my last homestay experience.) However, it has really turned out to be great (of course, I'm only a week into it, but still). It is SERIOUSLY nice to be able to come home to a room of my own, where I can unpack my things, I have a desk and a bed all of my own, PLUS I get homemade meals cooked for me every night. Bernard and Josipa are so sweet and fun to hang out with. 
Tomorrow is another "normal" day; hope to get ALL the readings (that I didn't do before) done tonight, go to bed early and be ready for whatever tomorrow has to offer!

No comments: