Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My first few days in Zagreb

Fortunately, all my flights went very well and had no problems whatsoever. My flight from Munich to Zagreb on a tiny place was amazing; we flew over the Alps and I had a window seat and I just stared out the window the whole time. I wanted to take a picture, but I felt tacky doing that next to the large, sweaty, European man sitting next to me. A girl in my program, Eva, was on that flight and as soon as we got into the Zagreb airport, we started talking. Zagreb's airport is tiny and old, and as soon as we arrived we were spotted by our program leader, Goga. We took a taxi to the hostel, Ravnice Youth Hostel, which is very, very nice (according to someone who has never been in a hostel before, but still.)

We meet as a group, 11 girls, at the hostel. We went to lunch at a restaurant called Agava Trattoria, and had our first view of the main square, Trg Jelacica, and Tkalciceva. Agava is set on a hill up on Tkalciceva, so as we sat on the terrace, we could watch everyone walking by on the street (just like everyone here does.) The girls are from all over; San Francisco, New York, Texas, St. Louis, Seattle. They all seem very independent, smart, interesting and well-traveled. Mostly anthropology, sociology and political science majors (plus me, the lone journalism major) we have a wide variety of interests. We also met at this time our language teacher, Marija, and our main professor, Orli. We had some great food and I had octopus for (maybe?) the first time. It was... chewy.

We had some time to walk around, and see the beautiful city. Of course, it's Europe, so the buildings are fairly old and beautiful. The main downtown of the city is very small, easy to walk everywhere and the trams run at all hours, and SIT supplied us with free passes. We also are given "lunch money" so they gave us about 80 bucks to get food for the rest of the week during orientation, while we're staying in the hostel. However, seven of us went out to some bars tonight and spent our lunch money on beer, which is really cheap. The city is really safe, everyone really friendly, most people speak English. These are my impressions so far.

No comments: